Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Canvas tag for a collage



(Click on the image for a closer photo showing more detail.)

I am doing a series of tags for a collage for my daughter focusing on the boys first vacation at the beach. All of these will be a 3 section canvas wall piece and will over lap to connect the 3 sections.

I learned to apply gesso with an artist's spatula from a dear and very talented watercolorist friend of mine. While I was a dismal failure as a water color artist, I picked up a lot of tricks and tips from her and using gesso under stains, paints and inks on canvas was one.

What I discovered today was that if I heat set the gesso to dry it, I get even more dimension and depth. Glad I tried this before I did the other tags! lol

7 comments:

Carol Salisbury said...

I love this! What a great idea! The image is great she is going to love this! I am putting this on my list of things to try! Gorgeous!!!
Thanks for sharing!

LyndaKay said...

Those photo corners really add a great touch to the tag. Can't wait to see the entire project. Labor of love, huh?

2amscrapper said...

I really like this idea! Beautiful tag!

Anonymous said...

This is such a beautiful tag, she will cherish it always. I love the softness of the colors. I will have to start using gesso under everything after seeing the gorgeous effects that are possible!

Anonymous said...

So very pretty! Beautiful colors!

Bimart´s ateliê said...

Olá,Eu tenho muito canvas,aqui e gosto de costura mas gostaria de saber como você coloca a imagem no canvas!Obrigada por compartilhar sou do Brasil abraços!

Ali Manning said...

This looks great, Jules - your daughter is going to love the completed project!